As of November 1st, MassDEP is expanding it's waste disposal bans by adding mattresses and textiles to the list of materials banned from disposal or transport for disposal in Massachusetts.
What to do with your mattress or box spring:
- You can give mattresses away via a local gifting group, like Buy Nothing or Freecycle.
- You can donate mattresses in good condition (we recommend a quick Google search to find donation sites).
- Ask retailer to collect your old mattress and box spring when they deliver your new set.
- Visit DPW at 100 Maple Avenue, to schedule a mattress / box spring drop off. Payment must be in a form of cash or check, $55 per item. Drop off location: 211 South Street, DPW Highway Garage, by appointment only.
- You can use the private curbside disposal option – residents are responsible for the associated cost.
For a guide on what type of mattresses can be recycled, please click here
What to do with textile:
- Donate them to an organization that will find new owners or uses for these items. Search the MassDEP-supported Beyond the Bin Recycling Directory by type of material and your location.
- Schedule curbside pick up with Simple Recycling, visit the website for more details.
- Bring or mail unwanted clothing and shoes to manufacturers or retailers, see details below:
Email email@example.com or call 508-841-8591 if you have any questions.