PLEASE NOTE: The 2022 licensing period for dogs is now open as of January 1, 2022 and will close on February 28, 2022. Any renewals received after March 1, 2022 will be subject to a $10 late fee per dog. New dogs are not subject to the late fee.
Dog License Information
State law requires that all dogs in the Commonwealth over six (6) months of age be licensed annually pursuant to M.G.L Chapter 140 Section 137A. All dog owners must be at least 18 years of age. Reminders and application forms are mailed annually in January to each household along with the annual census mailing.
All dogs must be licensed by March 1st annually (with the exception of newly acquired dogs.) Failure to license by March 1st will result in a $10 late fee per dog pursuant to Article 14 of the Town of Shrewsbury bylaws.
New Dog *
(not previously licensed in Shrewsbury)
(previously licensed in Shrewsbury)
|Spayed or Neutered - $10 per dog ||Spayed or Neutered - $10 per dog |
|NOT Spayed or Neutered - $20 per dog||NOT Spayed or Neutered - $20 per dog |
|*New Dogs are not subject to the late fee after March 1st||* A late fee of $10 per dog is applied for any renewed dog after March 1st in the calendar year |
How do I apply?
- Visit www.shrewsburyma.gov/payclerkonline
- Select the transaction that applies, answer the question fields, and submit your payment (fees apply)
- If the Clerks Office does not have a current rabies on file, email a copy to firstname.lastname@example.org with your payment transaction ID as the email subject.
- Fill out the Town of Shrewsbury Dog License Application form
- Print and mail the completed application along with a self addressed and pre-stamped envelope, proper payment (check or money order), and a valid rabies certificate to the Town Clerks Office. New dogs that have not previously been licensed or are newly spayed or neutered, must also have proof of being spayed or neutered.
- Visit the Town Clerk's Office at 100 Maple Ave. Bring your payment, proof of rabies, and application. Applications will also be available at the counter. New dogs or newly spayed/neutered dogs will also require proof of being spayed or neutered. Accepted payment methods are cash, check, money order or credit card ( fee applied to credit transactions)
Your dog license and tag will be mailed to the address provided.
Your dog license and tag will be mailed in the pre-stamped and self addressed envelope you provided.
You will receive your dog license and tag at the counter after the completion of the application.
- New kennel's require an inspection by the Animal Control Officer prior to the issuance of a Kennel License.
- Residential kennel license fees are $50.00 (less than 5), $100.00 (5-9) and $125.00 (10+). Residents or businesses requiring a residential kennel license must come into the Town Clerk's Office to apply.
- For commercial kennel licenses, please contact the Town Clerk's Office at (508) 841-8507.