The Board of Selectmen is seeking individuals to serve on a task force to address issues of diversity, equity, and inclusion in the community. The Task Force, composed of no more than 30 members, will be selected to reflect diverse backgrounds, experience, and thinking across our community. The Task Force will include a member of the Board of Selectmen. The School Committee, Board of Health, Council on Aging and Commission on Disabilities will be invited to appoint one member from their committee to serve on the task force. The deadline to apply is September 15, 2020 at 4:30 pm.
Click here to download the charge for the Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Task Force
Not all Task Force members will have expertise in all areas, but task force members will possess some of the following qualities or skill sets:
- Knowledge and experience with issues of diversity and inclusion/diversity training
- Personal knowledge and perspectives as members of underrepresented and/or marginalized groups
- Demonstrated ability to listen to and acknowledge different viewpoints
- Demonstrated ability to discuss difficult issues and different perspectives in a respectful way
At their initial meeting, the task force will develop a meeting schedule and timeline so that a written update is provided to the Board of Selectmen quarterly and a final report of findings and recommendations is submitted no later than 12 months after the date of the initial meeting.
How to Apply
For consideration, please submit a letter of interest highlighting your interest in this Task Force, a biographical profile summarizing your background, and confirming your availability to the Board of Selectmen no later than September 15, 2020. Please be sure to address the following questions:
- Why are you interested in serving on the Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Task Force?
- Please describe the knowledge that you bring that would help the task force in completing its charge.
- Please describe the experience that you have that will allow you to help the task force complete its charge.
Letters of interest can be sent by mail to the Board of Selectmen at 100 Maple Ave or by email to Selectmen@shrewsburyma.gov.