Virtual and Telephone Programs and Resources
DOROT University Without Walls
DOROT’s University Without Walls (UWW) program offers hundreds of classes, appealing to a wide range of interests – all available over the telephone. English-speaking participants from New York and across the country can choose from ever-changing topics and such perennial favorites as Museum Talks, Literature and Arts, In the News, Understanding Your Rights, Jewish Interests, and Health and Wellness. Support groups enable older adults to connect with peers over common experiences such as vision loss, aging as an LGBT community member, caregiving and coping with the loss of a loved one. Class size is limited, to encourage discussion.
Find more information here: DOROT University Without Walls
Lifetime Connections Without Walls
Lifetime Connections Without Walls is a telephone activities program that provides opportunities for older adults to connect with others in their community and across the country. We offer social and educational sessions, support groups, and friendly conversation, all from the comfort of home.
Find more information here: Lifetime Connections Without Walls
Online Programs and Resources
- Good Day Memory Cafe at Shrewsbury Public Library
- A memory cafe is a welcoming place for people at early stages of Alzheimer's or other forms of dementia AND their care partners. The Memory Cafe will meet on the first and third Friday of every month from 2-4 PM. Meetings are held on Zoom. See the library's calendar of events for more information.
- Shrewsbury Media Connection
- Stay up to date with town meetings, work up a sweat with Karen or Dr. C, and read 'One Book at a Time' with the Shrewsbury Public Library.
- How Seniors Can Stay Virtually Connected with Loved Ones
- Since it’s common for seniors to feel lonely and isolated, it’s essential to frequently stay in touch with loved ones. However, when friends and family live on the opposite side of town or the country, in-person quality time is difficult to come by. This article discusses how seniors can embrace technology to stay virtually connected with others.
- AARP Fitness Videos
- National Institute on Aging YouTube Channel
- The National Institute on Aging is the U.S. Government's lead agency on aging research and is part of the National Institutes of Health. NIA has several video series including Alzheimer's research, stretching techniques, healthy aging and more.
- YMCA Health and Fitness Videos for Active Older Adults
- As the average life expectancy lengthens there are more years for us to look forward to. Engaging with good health, exercise, and fitness earlier in life is important but you're never "too old" to start exercising and pursuing a healthier lifestyle that can help prevent, manage, and treat diseases and ailments.
- Cirque du Soleil- Cirque Connect
- Your access to Cirque du Soleil content, all in one place. At Cirque du Soleil, we offer an escape from everyday life through the delight and whimsy of our shows. Now more than ever, we want to do our little part to spread joy, even from afar, directly to your safe spaces. Let us welcome you into our world where awe-inspiring show footage and fan favorite videos will transport you. Just for you, from us. Enjoy!
- Virtual Visits on New England Aquarium YouTube Channel
- Over 100 virtual visits presented by staff at the New England Aquarium. Watch live streams of the giant ocean tank or penguin colony here.