For Town bill payments, the Town offers the convenience of paying bills online through the Town’s website with our banking partner UniBank.
- Go to the Shrewsbury Online Payment Center for Tax Bills and Water Bills
- Select the transaction type, and complete each screen to process your payment
- Electronic Debit to Checking is the preferred form of payment
EFFECTIVE 01/01/2013: $0.25 will be charged for each ACH transaction
Payments to our Lockbox
Town bill payments may be mailed to P.O. Box 725, Reading, MA 01867-0405. This is the location of the Town’s Lockbox with our banking partner Century Bank. The payment coupon must be sent with your check for processing. Failure to include the payment coupon with your check will delay the posting of your payment.
Payments from your personal online bank account
Some residents prefer to pay their municipal bills by using on-line systems offered by their bank. Your bank will withdraw the funds immediately from your account and issue a physical check to the Town without the payment coupon. These checks take 5-7 days to reach the Town, which in some cases causes the payment to be past due incurring interest and fees.
We do not recommend this type of payment because no bill is remitted with the payment. These checks also cannot be processed by the lockbox facility without the payment coupon and are returned to the Treasurer’s office delaying further credit to your bill.
Please include on the check:
- The type of bill being paid (real estate, excise, sewer, personal property, etc)
- The bill number and year or account number (remember bill numbers change from year to year)
- The name and address should be on either the check or the check stub
- If we cannot make such determination, we will mail your check back to you and ask that you return it with the appropriate remittance form.
Items returned may be subject to additional charges and interest.
Payments directly to the Town Office
Any bill payment may still be made directly to the office in person or by mail. After business hours payments may be put in the silver mailbox outside of the building marked “TOWN Bills”. The Treasurer’s office collects payments each morning. All Demand bill payments must be mailed directly to the office at 100 Maple Avenue, Shrewsbury, MA 01545. They are not available to pay online. Demand bills cannot be processed at the lockbox facility.
Please consider using the Town’s On-line payment service. It is quick; reduces administrative costs, and ensures that your payment is posted promptly and accurately.