Shrewsbury Senior Center Van TransportationOn June 15th we re-opened our van transportation to Shrewsbury seniors and to those with disabilities.
At this time we are accepting ADA (American’s with Disabilities Act) riders and other essential requests, such as dialysis, medical appointments, work, and grocery trips.
Due to COVID-19 we are taking all necessary precautions to keep our staff and riders safe.
All riders MUST wear a mask at all times.
For more information please contact our Transportation Coordinator, Cynthia Willis at 508-841-8640.
The Shrewsbury Council on Aging has received a grant from Metropolitan Area Planning Council and funding from MassDevelopment. We are using the award to contract with New Worcester Yellow Cab and Safeway Luxury Transportation to supplement Council on Aging van service for seniors and individuals with disabilities that has been reduced due to COVID-19 restrictions, serving early-morning, late-evening, and weekend transportation outside of Council on Aging business hours (M-F 8AM-4:30PM).
*This opportunity will run from April 2021 to December 31, 2021 or until further notice.
Senior citizens who are in need of transportation can choose from 3 forms of service:
- ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) van service
- Regular van service
- Worcester Regional Transit Authority (WRTA)
Council on Aging Services
Shrewsbury Council on Aging offers Regular and ADA van service that are available to qualified town residents who are elderly and/or disabled.
Under the ADA Civil Rights Law, individuals who qualify are entitled to equal or comparable service to what they would receive if they were able to use a WRTA city bus. Since the COA has 2 vans, trips are also available to Westborough and group outings.
The Town of Shrewsbury receives funding from the Worcester Regional Transit Authority (WRTA) to provide transportation service for people with disabilities and seniors who are 60 years of age or older. Riders who are eligible for non-ADA service can travel to many in-town destinations such as grocery stores, banks, pharmacies, hairdressers/barbers, medical appointments and Senior Center activities, including lunch. Medically related out-of-town appointments are also offered.
NON-ADA TRANSPORTATION OPTIONS*
- Worcester Medical Trips – Monday through Friday 9:30AM to 2:00PM
- Shrewsbury Medical Trips – Monday through Friday 9:00AM to 2:00PM
- Westborough Medical Trips – Monday, Wednesday & Friday 10:00AM to 2:00PM
- Grocery Shopping – Thursday morning to Shaw’s, Stop & Shop and Trader Joe’s, Friday morning to Price Chopper
- Shopping – Mall Trips Tuesday 10:00AM to 1:00PM
Walmart, Northborough Crossing, West Meadow Plaza, etc., 10:00AM to 12:00PM
- In-Town Errands – Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday & Friday 9:00AM to 2:00PM
Medical trips are given priority. All other trips are scheduled as space is available
- Shrewsbury Public Library – Tuesday 10:30AM to 12:30PM
*ADA eligible riders traveling in the ADA service area may request transportation for any purpose and can travel whenever and wherever bus service operates.
REQUESTING A TRIP
- Trips must be scheduled in advance by calling 508-841-8640.
- You may call up to thirty (30) days in advance to schedule a non-ADA ride.
- Non-ADA trips must be requested no later than 10:00AM, two (2) business days before the trip is needed. Call between 8:00AM and 4:30PM Monday through Friday to arrange a non-ADA trip.
- The Shrewsbury Council on Aging is closed on holidays so be mindful to allow an additional day to schedule your non-ADA ride.
- ADA trips can be requested up to seven (7) days in advance and until 4:30PM the day before the trip is needed.
You can call the Shrewsbury COA at 508-841-8640 five (5) days a week between 8:30AM and 4:30PM or call PBSI at 508-797-5560 (ext. 1) to arrange a trip for Monday through Saturday after 4:30PM on Friday by speaking to a call taker or by leaving the trip request on the answering machine.
In order to expedite your trip request, have the following information ready:
- Full name
- Telephone number
- Date of trip
- Requested pick up and return times
- Appointment time
- Doctor’s name if a medical trip
- Pick-up address
- Drop-off address
- Companions or Personal Care Assistance (PCAs) travelling with you
- Special information about your trip or your ability to travel
If you do not receive a call back confirming your pick-up time, please call our office by 3:00PM the day before your trip.
You will be given a twenty (20) minute pick-up window. You need to be ready for pick-up at the beginning of that time. Once the vehicle arrives within that pick up window, the driver will only wait five (5) minutes for you to meet the vehicle before leaving to transport the next passenger.
CANCELLING A TRIP AND NO SHOWING
If you do not need your ride, you must call in advance to cancel or you will be considered a No-Show.
ADA AND NON-ADA FARES
Having the exact fare upon boarding is recommended. It can be difficult for drivers to make change. You can purchase tickets in advance to pay for your fare, call to ask for more details.
TAKING A TRIP
To learn more on how to ride WRTA Paratransit Service please call the Council on Aging for more detailed information and service rules.
Your assistance in following these policies will allow the WRTA’s Shrewsbury van service to transport more people to the services they need. Thank you for your cooperation.
- If I am approved for ADA, do I always have to pay the higher ADA fare?
- Can I use the regular van service while I wait to be approved for ADA?
- What if I need to make an ADA trip request over the weekend for an upcoming Sunday or Monday?
- What if I am approved for ADA and do not live within the ADA service area?