Welcome to the Shrewsbury Council On Aging Volunteer page. We are so glad you are either a current member of our volunteer staff or are considering joining us. We know how lucky we are to have such an amazing and dedicated group of volunteers. If it were not for these individuals we would not be able to offer the diverse range of programs, workshops and activities the Shrewsbury senior community has come to expect and enjoy nor would we be able to have the Senior Center run as smoothly as it does. These people are truly invaluable to us all.
Applications are available at the Senior Center. Completing our volunteer application does not guarantee a volunteer position. Volunteers may be asked to come into the Center for an in-person interview to ensure a good fit for the position. All volunteers are required to complete a CORI before volunteering. Please note, all volunteers must be 18 years old or over.
If you would like to be a program or activity leader, please complete our Facility Use Agreement form (https://shrewsburyma.gov/DocumentCenter/View/9540/SSC-Program-Application) and contact the Council on Aging at 508-841-8640.
Please see our current openings below:
Receptionists assist the COA staff to run the office and take care of guests who call and visit the Center. Receptionists are be on duty Monday through Friday 8AM-12PM or 12PM-4PM. Receptionists will also be responsible for enforcing COVID-19 safety measures and social distancing protocols. We are also always looking for receptionists on an as needed basis.
Tasks may include (but are not limited to) the following:
- Answer phones
- Register seniors for special programs and activities
- Fill out van ride slips
- Call clients with their van pick-up times
- Greet guests who come into the Center
- Make copies for guests as needed
- Fill out telephone logs to track incoming calls
- Wiping down/sanitizing high traffic areas in office
- Miscellaneous projects as assigned
Meals on Wheels
- Assist the kitchen assembling MOW packages and serving congregate meals in the dining room.
- Shifts available Monday through Friday. Typical hours are 8AM-12PM.
- No cooking required! Food comes pre-cooked from ESWA, we just need help portioning it out.
- Drivers deliver packaged meals to pre-determined routes around Shrewsbury.
- Shifts available Monday through Friday. Typical hours are 9AM-12PM but may vary depending on route.
- Drivers receive mileage reimbursement.
If you have your own volunteer idea of how to help the Seniors of Shrewsbury and the Shrewsbury Senior Center we are open to suggestions! Please call the Senior Center at 508-841-8640.
Senior Tax Work-Off Position information can be found on our Senior Tax Work-Off page here.