The cold, winter days are coming! Apply for home heating and energy assistance. Commonly known as Fuel Assistance, the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program provides eligible households with help in paying a portion of winter heating bills.
This program provides assistance through a fixed benefit amount for the cost of the primary source of heat with includes, but is not limited to:
- Natural gas
If eligible, discounts are automatically given on:
- Electric bills for investor-owned electric utilities
- Gas bills for investor-owned gas utilities
- Telephone bills
What You Need:
Homeowners and renters, including households whose cost of heat is included in the rent, can apply in person at the agency in their area. The agency covering Shrewsbury residents is the South Middlesex Opportunity Council (SMOC).
SMOC 2020-2021 Application Checklist
- There are a variety of factors that impact the eligibility of a household. Eligibility is based on:
- Household size
- The gross annual income of every household member, 18 years of age or older
- Household income cannot exceed 60% of estimated State Median Income
- FY2019 LIHEAP Income Eligibility and Benefits Level Chart (in attachment)
- Please contact the local fuel assistance agency for detailed information on criteria used for eligibility.
- Housing subsidies will also determine the specific benefit level
How to Apply:
- In person
- There is no application form for fuel assistance services online.
- 1st-time applicants must apply in person at the fuel assistance agency in their area - which can be found using our Service Provider Locator.
- Households must apply each year; applications are mailed to households after the 1st year.
- Households can apply from November 1st to April 30th of the program year.
- Applicants who are denied assistance have the right to appeal through the local fuel assistance agency.
- You may also take a look at the Cold Relief Brochure
- By phone
- Call the Cold Relief Heatline at (800) 632-8175.
LIHEAP Child Support/Alimony Documentation
LIHEAP Financial Assistance Form
LIHEAP Income from Odd Jobs Form