Arranging Care If You Are Away

Don't deprive yourself if you want to go away or need to attend to other loved ones. There are 3 options if you need to have someone else take care of the person temporarily.

  • A Respite Bed: This essentially places the person in a nursing home temporarily. It is usually private pay only. Not all nursing homes provide this service. Check with a nursing home you are interested in, or call the Council on Aging (COA) for more information.
  • Adult Foster Care: This program places your loved 1 in a private home in the area to be cared for by a paid caregiver, in their home while you are away or otherwise unable to give care.
  • Temporary Live-In Help: By calling the Home Health Agencies agencies, you can find out more about workers who can stay with your loved 1 around the clock. You may opt for 1 or 2 live-in workers, or you may wish to set up a series of "shifts" that can work around other family members or friends who will be helping you out.