Applying for a License
You may apply to the Board of Selectmen for Licenses, or changes to Licenses for the following:
- Alcoholic Beverage Sales/Service (On or Off Premises)
- One Day Alcoholic Beverage License
- Common Victualler (Restaurant)
- Class I or Class II (New or Used Car Dealership)
- Garage (Service of Vehicles/Storage)
- Dealer of Precious Metals (Junk License)
- Entertainment (Sunday and Weekday)
- Shrewsbury Application for License
- Worker's Compensation Insurance Affidavit
- Original Hard Copy of All Submitted Licensing Documents, One (1) Additional Copy, and One (1) Digital Copy (emailed or on disk/ USB)
Once a license has been reviewed and approved by the Board of Selectmen, the License and regulations for the particular license must be posted on the premises in a conspicuous place.
Please call the Board of Selectmen office with any questions.
NOTICE from the Alcoholic Beverage Control Commission:
REQUIRED ON-LINE PAYMENTS
Beginning Sunday, November 19, 2017, the Alcoholic Beverages Control Commission will no longer accept paper checks as payment for applications and permits. Payments must be made on-line by using either a personal or business check (ACH). Once your on-line payment is completed, you must print the confirmation receipt and then include that receipt with your application to the Local Licensing Authority.
To locate the on-line payment link, go to their website:
Certificate of Good Standing required beginning March 1, 2018
In order to confirm that all licensees and applicants are in compliance with Massachusetts tax laws, a Certificate of Good Standing (“COGS”) from the Massachusetts Department of Revenue will be required for the following transactions submitted to the Local Board beginning March 1, 2018:
- Transfer of License (certificate must be in the current/seller licensee name)
- Change in Beneficial Interest
- Pledge of License
- Change of License Class (Seasonal, Annual)
- Change in License Category (Wines and Malts, All Alcohol, etc.)
- Change of Entity Name (certificate must be in the current corporate name)
- Change of Corporate Structure (certificate must be in the current corporate structure)
- Addition of a Management Agreement
- PLEASE NOTE: a new licensee does not require a COGS
An applicant can obtain a COGS by visiting the Department of Revenue’s website: https://www.mass.gov/how-to/request-a-certificate-of-good-standing-tax-compliance-or-a-corporate-tax-lien-waiver.