The application must be filed with the Assessor's Office on or before April 1.
- If their application is subsequently approved, the amount of the exemption will be credited to their 4th Quarter tax bill.
- Taxpayers have 3 months from the mailing of the actual tax bill (usually in December) to file a Clause Exemption Application with the Assessors Office. Applicants should check the postmark of the 3rd Quarter bill envelope.
- Taxpayers must pay the full amount indicated on this bill by February 1, even if they have an application pending.
- A taxpayer may not receive more than 1 of the exemptions listed on the personal exemptions provisions page. If, however, taxpayers qualify for more than 1 of these exemptions, the assessors will encourage them to apply for and receive the exemption that saves them the most money.
- The amounts of the exemptions range from $175 to $1,000, depending on the exemption type.
- There are other more specific exemptions (surviving spouse of police officers and fire fighters killed in the line of duty, paraplegic veterans) for which the assessors can provide information.