This stately home was built in 1825 by the Reverend George Allen who was a minister of the Shrewsbury First Congregational Church from 1823 to 1840. The home is set back from Main Street and features a large front lawn. The front of the house was covered with flat boards instead of clapboards
The Worcester born Rev. Allen was a graduate of Yale University. He was a social liberal and was ahead of his time. An outspoken abolitionist, he organized a group of likeminded ministers in Worcester to protest against slavery.
The home was later purchased by Sea Captain Josiah Richardson in 1843, the same year he married Harriet Goodnow. During his tenure he planted fruit trees. Interestingly, he also had a connection with the First Congregational Church, having served as a Deacon.
In December of 1853, he was the commanding officer of the Staffordshire, a clipper ship with 180 passengers that sank when it was returning from Liverpool to Boston. Richardson lost his life.