How to Start a Business

Establishing and Opening a Business

  • Obtain a Business Certificate 
  • Check for Permits and Licenses
  • Check the General By-Laws

Finding a Location...

My Business Will... Permit or License Needed: Contact for More Information:

Operate in Shrewsbury

Business Certificate Town Clerk’s Office
100 Maple Avenue
Shrewsbury, MA 01545

Handle, serve, or sell food to patrons (restaurants, mobile food, temporary food, catering, retail food, farmer’s market, etc.) Food Service, Catering, Mobile Food, or Retail Food License Board of Health (BOH)
100 Maple Avenue
Shrewsbury, MA 01545

Sell tobacco products Tobacco Sales Permit BOH
Operate overnight cabins (motels, hotels, mobile home parks) Inn Holder License BOH
Tattoo and provide other body art services Body Art Facility/Practitioner BOH
Serve alcohol/ liquor to be consumed on premises Alcoholic Beverages License Select Board (SB) 100 Maple Avenue
Shrewsbury, MA 01545

Sell and serve food and non-alcoholic beverages Common Victualler License Select Board
Sell alcoholic beverages not to be consumed on premises Package Goods Select Board
Provide automatic amusement machines, automatic music machines, dancing, comedy, live music, and other performances Entertainment License Select Board
Drive taxis/livery

Livery License Select Board
Sell new or used cars

Class I or Class II Select Board
Service vehicles

Garage License Select Board
Provide outdoor dining

Outdoor Dining License Select Board
Provide a donation bin

Donation Collection Bin License Select Board
Own a dumpster 6 yards wide or larger Rubbish Container Permit Fire Department
11 Church Road
Shrewsbury, MA 01545

Keep, store, manufacture, or sell combustible materials, such as gas stations, biotech research, etc. Flammable Gasses & Solids or Flammable & Combustible Liquids Permits Fire Department 
My Business will need... Permit Needed: For More Information contact: 
To construct, alter, repair, or demolish a structure Building Permit
100 Maple Avenue
Shrewsbury, MA 01545
To certify that a structure is constructed or altered in accordance with the State Building Code and the Town’s Bylaws. Certificate of Occupancy Building Inspector 
To install, modify, or repair any signs or banners Sign Permit Building Inspector
To work on items related to gas, plumbing, wiring, or HVAC Gas Fitting, Plumbing, Town Electrical, or Mechanical Permits Building Inspector 
To do construction that requires connection for water or sewer 
Water and Sewer Permits

Department of Public Works
100 Maple Avenue, 2nd Floor
Shrewsbury, MA 01545

To abandon or decommission an on-site disposal system Water and Sewer Permits
[Must also reach out to Board of Health for Disposal System Construction Permit]

Department of Public Works
To excavate on a public street, or when creating a new driveway opening  Highway Permit Department of Public Works
To install electric, cable, solar, or internet SELCO Services Shrewsbury Electric and Cable Operations

To install or modify a fire protection device including a sprinkler system, fire alarm system, etc. Fire Protection System and Other
[Building Permit is also required through the Building Inspector’s Office]

Fire Department
11 Church Road
Shrewsbury, MA 01545