Applying for a License

The Select Board issues the following types of licenses and permits:

  • Sale of Alcohol (Restaurants, Package Stores, Clubs, Farmer-Winery) License
  • One-Day Alcoholic Beverage Special License
  • Common Victualler License (Restaurants that offer seated dining service)
  • One-Day Common Victualler License
  • Class I (New) and Class II (Used) Car Dealer License
  • Commercial Garage (Repair and/or Storage of Vehicles)
  • Dealer of Precious Metals ("Junk") License
  • Livery License
  • Auction/Auctioneer License
  • Entertainment (Weekday and Sunday) License
  • Donation Bin Permit

All applicants are required to complete an online application for a license/permit through the Select Board's online service portal. Prior to beginning an application, applicants must create an account in the online service portal. If you have questions on creating an account, please refer to the How to... guide or contact the Select Board's office. 

Each application requires additional documentation that is specific to the particular license being applied for. Your answers to the questions in the online application may also prompt additional documents to be required. 

Once an application has been submitted, it will be reviewed by Select Board staff for completeness. After it is determined to be a complete application,  you will be prompted to pay the license application fee. Upon receiving this fee, the application will be reviewed by various Town departments and they will report any concerns with the proposed application such as unpaid taxes, lack of health permits, etc.  This information will be provided to the Select Board who will review the application at one of their meetings and vote to approve or deny it. 

Please note that Alcohol License applications may require additional approval from the Alcoholic Beverages Control Commission (ABCC) after being approved by the Select Board. Please refer to the ABCC website for a list of application requirements and other information relative to Alcohol Licenses. 

After a license has been reviewed and approved by the Select Board, the applicant must pay the license fee prior to the license being issued. Once issued, the license and regulations for the particular license must be posted on the premises in a conspicuous place.

If you have any questions or require assistance with the licensing process, please contact the Select Board's office at 508-841-8504.