How Do You Qualify for an Abatement?
A partial abatement of the excise (and refund for an excise already paid) is appropriate in any of the following circumstances:
- Notification to the police within 48 hours of discovery of a theft of the vehicle, surrender of the certificate of registration not less than 30 days after the theft, and presentation of a certificate from the Registrar of Motor Vehicles verifying that the car has been stolen and plate return receipt
- Overvaluation of a motor vehicle
- Subsequent registration of the same vehicle in the same year by the same person
- Transfer of a person and his vehicle to another state or country with proof of registration in that state or country and cancellation of a registration in Massachusetts
- When a motor vehicle is sold and the registration is cancelled or when the vehicle is traded for another vehicle
Click the button below to access the Abatement Form on the State's Website