Business (Doing Business As - DBA) Certificates

Persons conducting a business under any title other than the true name of the person, partnership or corporation, must file a DBA Business Certificate (DBA) in every community where an office of the business is situated. Business certificates are required under MGL Chapter 110 Section 5 as part of the Consumer Protection Laws. This is not a license to do business. A DBA Business Certificate is required for listing the business name and owner with the Town if the business is a sole proprietor, a partnership or a corporation doing business in a different name as the corporate name. Even a corporation doing business under the corporate name may be requested to file with the Town by an attorney, accountant or a bank.

If the business is an At-home Business, business owners are required to sign an acknowledgement located on the second page (or back) of the DBA Business Certificate Application certifying that their business complies with Zoning Ordinances. If you have questions regarding Zoning, please call the Building Department at 508-841-8512. 

Certificates may be filed in person (identification required) at the Town Clerk's Office. A DBA Business Certificate may also be submitted by mail with signatures Notarized. There is a $25 filing fee for a DBA and a fee of $10 is charged to Amend or Discontinue a DBA. Cash, check, or money order are accepted as payment. Checks should be made out to "Town of Shrewsbury." DBA Business Certificates are valid for 4 years.

Filing a DBA does not protect your name. If you wish to register a Trademark or Servicemark with the State of Massachusetts, contact the Corporations Division by phone at 617-727-9640 or in person at:
One Ashburton Place
17th floor
Boston, MA 02108
For further information on Trademarks, Servicemarks or the Incorporation process, visit the Corporations and Trademarks section of the Secretary of the Commonwealth's website. 

General information concerning Trademarks may be obtained from The Commissioner of Patents in Washington D.C.'s website or at 800-347-1997.

For more information on additional licensing for your business, see the Town of Shrewsbury Business Guide. If you have further questions on the Licensing of a business, contact the State's Citizen Information Services:

N2 Citizen Information Service (CIS)
Secretary of the Commonwealth
One Ashburton Place, Room 1611
Boston, MA 02108-1512

Tel: 617-727-7030
Toll Free: 1-800-392-6090 (within Mass. only)
MassRelay (Deaf & Hard of Hearing) English: 1-866-887-6619
MassRelay (Deaf & Hard of Hearing) Spanish: 1-866-930-9252
Fax: 617-742-4528
Hours: Monday-Friday (except holidays) 8:45 am to 5:00 pm

DBA Documents