Marriage License

Marriage Intention and License Pursuant to M.G.L Chapter207

wedding ringsCouples seeking to be married in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts must apply at any city or town office in Massachusetts by filling out a Intention of Marriage. In order to apply for a marriage, the couple must appear together at the Town Clerk's Office during office hours, no appointment necessary. The forms will take approximately 30 minutes to complete so it is requested that you appear before 4:00 pm. Each person must be at least 18 years of age or have a court order providing for an exception. 


What do we need to bring to apply?

In Shrewsbury, you need to appear together with your partner and provide proof of age.

  • proof of age of the parties and verifying that both parties are not less than 18 years of age. Such proof shall be contained in any of the following documents, graded and taking precedence in the following order: (i) an original or certified copy of a record of birth; (ii) an original or certified copy of a baptismal record; (iii) a passport; (iv) a life insurance policy;(v) an employment certificate; (vi) a school record; (vii) an immigration record; (viii) a naturalization record; or (ix) a court record.  Drivers license or State Id are acceptable also.

You will need to know basic information such as your place of birth, social security number (if applicable), and parents names at birth. After filling out the intention, you will take an oath certifying all information submitted is true. The fee for filing is $25.00 (cash, check, money order or credit card- fee applies to credit card payments)

When will we receive our license?

Either party will be able to pick up the license after the waiting period of (3) three days following the filing of the marriage intention.

Under extenuating circumstances and for good reason, when you are unable to wait the mandatory (3) three day waiting period, you may petition the local district court and pay a fee for a waiver of the waiting period. If a waiver is granted, you submit the waiver when filing the marriage intention and the marriage license will be issued immediately.

When picking up the marriage license, only one party of the marriage needs to be present, however they will be responsible to ensure that all information printed on the license is correct. 

How long is our marriage license valid for?

Your marriage license is valid for 60 days from the day that the intention is filed. If the license expires, the couple will need to return the expired license and re-apply for a new one. 

Who is authorized to solemnize our marriage?

A Justice of the Peace, Clergy, Rabbi, Minister, Imam, or any other ordained individual registered with the Commonwealth can solemnize a wedding ceremony if they are residents of the Commonwealth. If they are out of State Non-Resident Clergy, they must apply to the Secretary of State 2-4 weeks prior to the wedding date. More information can be found here: 

If you would like a family member or friend to solemnize your wedding, they must apply for a one-day solemnizer certificate through the Secretary of State. This certificate is only valid for the marriage date as specified, and must be returned with the completed marriage license to the Shrewsbury Town Clerk to validate the marriage. They can apply 6 months in advance of the wedding date and up until one week before the ceremony. More information and the application can be found here:

How should our solemnizer fill out and submit the license? 

It is important that the marriage license is filled out correctly in order not to delay validity of the marriage and issuance of a marriage certificate. Instructions for the solemnizer are included with the marriage license and can be found here. Once the information is completed, the solemnizer is responsible for submitting the license by mail with the envelope provided, in person at the Town Clerk's Office, or by depositing the black "Town Bills & Correspondence" box in the front of Town Hall. If the solemnizer is a one-day solemnizer, the original one-day solemnizer certificate as issued by the governor must be included with the completed marriage license.  

The completed marriage license should be submitted back to the Shrewsbury Town Clerk no later than the 10th day of the month following the marriage. 

How do we receive a certified marriage certificate with a raised seal? 

Once the Town Clerks receives and validates the marriage license from the solemnizer, a marriage certificate may be requested and issued. The fee for each copy is $10.00  (cash, check, money order or credit card- fee applies to credit card payments) .

 A request may be submit by mail, phone at 508-841-8507, email, or online at 

Looking for more info on before and after the marriage? Visit