- Solid Waste & Recycling
Pay As You Throw (PAYT) Program
The Town of Shrewsbury operates a dual-stream recycling collection program. Recyclable materials will be collected weekly with your scheduled trash collection. The recyclable materials collected each week will alternate between Mixed Paper/Cardboard and Commingled Glass, Plastic, and Metal containers.
- You may purchase a recycle bin through the Shrewsbury Department of Public Works (DPW). The DPW offers 22-gallon size bins for $15.00 each; however, you are not required to purchase the town's bins.
- The DPW will also provide free Recycling Stickers to identify containers for collection.
- The color of the bin does not matter as long as it can easily be distinguished from a solid waste container.
Rules of Service
- Massachusetts State Law and the Shrewsbury Town recycling by-law make recycling mandatory in Shrewsbury.
- Residents are not limited on the number of items or containers set out for recycling.
- Bin size not to exceed 32 gallons.
- All Recycle items must be 2’x2’ or under for curb-side pick-up.
- Cardboard boxes must be flattened, consolidated, secured for curbside pick-up.
- Recycling bins must be at the curb by 7:00 A.M., as routes and drivers are subject to change without notice.
- In the winter months, recycling bins must be free of snow and ice and clearly visible to the collection crew.
- Click Street Listing to determine your collection day.
- Click Collection Schedule Map
- Click Collection Calendar
Visit MassDEP's Recycle Smart and Beyond the Bin pages to access tips and tools that will help you with the recycling process.
ALWAYS RECYCLE @ THE CURB
- How can I stay informed about this program as far as waste events and trash delays?
- Is there general Solid Waste & Recycling information for new residents?
- Where can I find the most recent Trash & Recycling Calendar?
- Where can I purchase PAY-T Bags
- When do I need to put my trash and recycling out?
- What is my collection Day?
- How do I get rid of items that won’t fit in my PAY-T trash bag?
- I lost my Waste Management Service Mailer is it available on the web?
- If my neighbor’s trash and recycling across the street was picked up but mine wasn’t, was my house missed?
- Why does it appear that the hauler is throwing the trash and recycling into the same truck?