Community Preservation Committee
At Town Meeting on August 8, 2020 under Article 30, Town Meeting Members voted to accept Sections 3 to 7, inclusive, of Chapter 44B of the General Laws, otherwise known as the Massachusetts Community Preservation Act by approving a surcharge on real property for the purposes permitted by said Act, including
- the acquisition, creation and preservation of open space
- the acquisition, preservation, rehabilitation and restoration of historic resources
- the acquisition, creation, preservation, rehabilitation and restoration of land for recreational use
- the acquisition, creation, preservation and support of community housing, and
- the rehabilitation and restoration of such open space and community housing that is acquired or created as provided under said Act
A surcharge on real property was also included in the passage as a percentage of the annual real estate tax levy against real property which will commence in FY 2022. Exemptions from the surcharge is permitted under Section 3(e) of the Act. The amount of such surcharge on real property shall be 1% of the annual real estate tax levy against real property commencing in fiscal year 2022l and that the Town hereby accepts the following exemptions from such surcharge permitted under Section 3(e) of said Act; (1) property owned and occupied as a domicile by any persons who qualifies for low income housing or low or moderate income senior housing in the Town, as defined in Section 2 of said Act; (2) $100,000 of the value of each taxable parcel of residential real property; (3) $100,000 of the value of each taxable parcel of class three, commercial property, and class four, industrial property as defined in section 2A of said Chapter 59.
Town Meeting will review a bylaw on Saturday May 22, 2021 at 8:30 am to establish a Community Preservation Committee. If approved, the Committee will include the following:
- One member of the Shrewsbury Conservation Commission as designated by that Commission.
- One member of the Shrewsbury Historical Commission as designated by that Commission.
- One member of the Shrewsbury Planning Board as designated by that Board.
- One member of the Shrewsbury Parks, Recreation and Cemetery Commission as designated by that Commission.
- One member of the Shrewsbury Housing Authority as designated by the Authority.
- Four (4) members to be appointed at large by the Shrewsbury Board of Selectmen. At large members must be residents of Shrewsbury.
More information about the Community Preservation Act can can be found at https://www.communitypreservation.org/about
View Most Recent Agenda (PDF) | View All Agendas and Minutes